Thursday, October 11, 2007

HAPPY BIRTHDAY HELIUM




OR


Happy Birthday Helium! And, many happy returns.


You have been such a blessed gift to me. How can I even begin to sum up in words alone, what a God-send you are? I will delight in giving you a virtual hug and kiss on this, your very special day.


I discovered Helium, in the midst, or shall I say the ending of, a very horrible seven month depression. I was desperate for a way to drag myself out of it. One night, I thought it might be fun to take a creative writing class. I imagined such a class might be a necessary creative outlet for my starved soul, as well as a way to get out of the house, and meet new potential friends.


So, I Googled it. The first thing I fell upon was Helium, and I immediately joined. My first article was a poem for the title "Voices." It was a poem about suicide, though honest, it was very bleak and pathetic. The writing wasn't even very good. Next I wrote a slightly better article about "Weird Friends." Then came the grand slam. The article that made me remember who I am, the one that began to battle, with a vengeance, the voices with-in my head. It was a short story, for the title "Writing." It was about a young school aged boy, who wanted to be a writer when he grew up. I am proud to say, it has faired quite well in earnings and ratings.

My point is, in my depression, I wrote one bleak, depressing poem, and it was all up hill from there. My spirits lifted with each new word penned, with each day a world of possibilities opens before me. Because of Helium, I have also created a blog, and joined My Space, in order to market my work. Helium has cast a wide net of opportunities for me. Helium has given me a reason to get up in the morning and an outlet for my artistic personality. Helium has given me a voice and an audience.


Helium is such a supportive and positive environment. The staff are nothing short of miraculous. I have virtually met some people, and have found true friends. One lady in particular, has been a great mentor and confidant for me.


I will be forever grateful to you. May God bless you, Helium, as you have richly blessed me, on this your very first birthday.

No comments: